How our story began...
Originally funded under the State Department of Education, West Georgia Regional Library System began as one of Georgia’s three pioneer pilot regional library systems. Opened the summer of 1944, the original name of the system was Carroll-Heard Regional Library.
Edith L. Foster was named the system’s first director. A writer, teacher, historian, and librarian, her work in developing a regional rural library system became a model for the nation. Her achievements earned her a 2007 induction into Georgia Women of Achievement. She served as Director of West Georgia Regional Library System from 1944 to 1977. She authored a history of the library system she founded called Yonder She Comes: A Once Told Li’bry Tale. Copies are available for checkout at many WGRLS libraries.
Read on for a brief timeline of our history below: